Top 10 tips for girls
- Set short-term and long-term goals. Make them specific and achievable — like 'I’ll walk or jog 10 minutes every day' or 'I will get off the bus/train two stops earlier and walk the rest of the way to school or work'. Avoid saying ‘I want to get fit’ — set out how you are going to get fit.
- Make time to be active. If you book it into your calendar, you will more likely stick to it.
- Be kind to yourself. New to an activity or sport? Start off small and build up gradually. For example, try starting with 15 minutes of exercise 3 times a week. Then next week, increase it to 20 minutes a session and try some other activities.
- Set up a schedule with a group of friends. This could be going for a walk, jog, to a dance class or to play sport. This way, you can motivate each other to push a little further and stay on track.
- Start at home. You could start getting active by dancing or doing yoga at home using some online instructions.
- Track your activity to see how far you have come. It’s easy to forget and is a great way to stay motivated and celebrate your achievement. There are lots of mobile apps for this or you can track it in your journal.
- Do something at lunchtime. This could be a fast walk, some yoga or stretches.
- Use the stairs. It’s a great way to increase your overall activity. Try running up every flight you come to each day. Wherever you are, always take the stairs instead of the escalator.
- Walk! It is one of the easiest ways to get active. Mix up trails to keep things interesting. Don’t avoid the hills!
- Use the ad breaks to get some activity in. Try star jumps for one ad, squats or lunges for another, try to hold a plank for the entire break, do some sit ups and push ups. Each time try to get more reps in.
Page last updated: 23 May 2018