Timing of vaccines help to protect children
The timing of each dose of every vaccine is based on careful research. This helps to give children the best protection against serious diseases.
The timing of vaccines is based on a range of factors:
- the diseases Australian children are likely to be exposed to
- how serious the diseases can be for children at different ages
- which vaccines are the safest and most effective
- how many doses are needed to provide full protection
- the age at which the vaccines will give the best protection.
Why is the schedule the way it is explains the reasons behind the vaccination schedule.
Additional vaccinations are also provided as part of school programs and for those most at risk of serious complications from vaccine-preventable diseases. You can read more about it in the National Immunisation Program Schedule.
Page last updated: 11 Aug 2017