The top facts about immunisation
All parents want the very best for their child’s health. You’re looking after their best interests if you consider the facts so you can make an informed decision about vaccination.
- Immunisation saves lives
- Vaccines strengthen your child’s immune system
- All childhood diseases we vaccinate against can cause serious illness, including death
- Nearly 95% of five-year-old children in Australia are vaccinated – this figure needs to be as high as possible
- All vaccines available in Australia have been thoroughly tested for safety and effectiveness and are continually monitored
- Skipping or delaying vaccinations puts your child and those around you at risk of contracting serious diseases
- Immunisation is a safe and effective way of giving protection against diseases such as whooping cough and measles.
Page last updated: 13 Feb 2020